Wednesday, October 20, 2010

"My heart is a ladle of sweet water brimming over.... "

Well, I guess it's about time I take up the art of blogging.  I've always been a writer, but I've found that my words come more easily with pen and paper.  However, of late, the call of writing has found its way to my ears again, and so I've decided to partake in the 21st century format at last. 

The title of my blog is from my favorite quote in the Prologue of my favorite book, The Red Tent by Anita Diamant.  The words speak to the hearts of women as we each have a heart that is a "ladle of sweet water brimming over" with love, longing, emptiness, and joy.  The hearts of women are a thing of God's beauty that only We can know.  They are a secret whispered so softly that the wind carries them to the far reaches of the earth so that they can be found everywhere and nowhere all at once.  They flood the world with emotions so deep, their waters can drown even the strongest swimmer.

I come back to this book every several years as it speaks to my heart each time I am dealing with some life altering event.  Lately, unfortunate events in my life have led me back to the company of Jacob's women, and I'm learning from them to appreciate the deep, flowing waters of my heart. 

In times of sorrow, the waters of female hearts swell so high, they spill over and anoint beautiful faces with sadness and longing.  Their tears are a talisman, warning those around them of the omnipotent power of the female heart that lies dormant until some great hurt awakens its flow, and its tides flood the earth. 

... And now you know my heart ..... "It is a ladle of Sweet Water Brimming Over."

1 comment:

  1. My goodness, what powerful words regarding such strong, yet sometimes fragile beings as women. I don't think that men quite grasp what goes one within a woman's heart, how she takes on the burdens of the world, or at least of her family. I hope to read more soon, Seylah. :)

    ReplyDelete