Monday, July 16, 2012

Proverbs 31:25

I am not, generally speaking, a religious person .... Long story short, I have a profound spiritual sense, but do not identify myself with one denomination or religious affiliation.  I feel that would limit my view too much, and I prefer to dabble in the wisdom of the greatest religion: Humanity. 

That said, I adore all things Religion especially the beautiful words, selections, and passages one can pull from religious texts that can inspire and enlighten us in our daily dealings with ourselves and others. 

Today, while diligently pinning on Pinterest, I came across a biblical passage that struck a chord with me, and inspired me to pull out my trusty Bible and read the passage in its context.  The passage was Proverbs 31:25.  There are two translations of the line.  I will give them both .... The second is my favorite simply because I like the way the words are presented and the rhythm of them is more musical to my heart:

"Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come." 

"She is clothed in strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future." 

Perhaps, I like the latter, also, because of the wording of the second half of the line.  "She laughs without fear of the future."  This is the part that spoke straight to my soul when I first read the passage on Pinterest.  For obvious reasons.  Right now, my future is so incredibly uncertain, and that alone is the hardest part of this ordeal.  The uncertainty, the lack of control.  I am a planner.  I decided what I wanted to be when I grew up at an early age and was able to plan for that career gaining the necessary knowledge, experience, and education required.  When I travel, I make lists.  I plan my meals for the week on Sundays.  I get in the right lane as soon as I know I need to turn right up ahead.  Yet here I am, not knowing if or when I will have the most basic human experience in being a Mother. 

Of course Lemeul's mother is advising him to find this virtuous woman who is a firm believer in God.  I do believe in God even if not in the Christian sense.  And I think this line still applies to me.  I will take this as my inspiration in the coming days.  I will strive to be this woman clothed in Strength and Dignity.  I do not know the future, but I will make the greatest effort not to fear it and simply walk forward.  Head held high.  Husband at my side.  Entitled and grateful to Laugh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment