Friday, August 3, 2012

A prettier word for "Snorkeling?"

Last night, when I laid down to go to sleep ..... I found myself going back to the time I was snorkeling in Cozumel on the vacation.  I think that was the first time in my life I have ever been able to genuinely focus ONLY on what I was doing and be ONE with the nature around me.  I know that sounds so cliche, but I've never before just let myself go and focus only on breathing in and out while taking in the beautiful, natural sights around me. 

It seems like even out in the woods or on a beach there is always some distraction.  A car in the distance, an airplace overhead, a child crying nearby.  Under water, though, your ears fill with the sound of your own breath.  Then you are only hearing the essence of your life.  YOUR life.  To be able to hear nothing but my own breath and to be suspended by that breath over the beautiful depths of a mysterious ocean is perhaps the definition of Peace. 

This takes me back to the blog I wrote before we left.... the one that quotes the ending paragraphs of Kate Chopin's The Awakening.  I posted that blog because I was feeling oppressed, suffocated, despondent and hopeless.  The idea of disappearing into an endless ocean sounded appealing but only in the way of not coming out of it.  I realized later, that this is exactly what I did.  What Edna did .... maybe she did not commit suicide after all?  Maybe she just allowed herself to disappear if only for a little while so she could simply hear nothing but the sound of her own breath and allow it to carry her.  Sometimes the weight of the world takes our breath away and makes us hurt from its burden.  Diving off into an ocean that will carry those burdens for you, where everything becomes lighter, and you can hear physical proof that you are alive can be healing.  Even when you have to come out and return to land, the image and sound stays with you and you are cleansed. 

I hate to call this experience "Snorkeling".... who thought of that ugly word?  There should be a more beautiful and musical word for an experience during which one can gain so much peace and enlightenment.  Let's think of a new word for it, shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment