Saturday, August 18, 2012

I am a Stick Figure

As you all know, I am reading Eric Weiner's, Man Seeks God.  Right now, in the book, Weiner has moved on in his travels to Kathmandu, Nepal to study Buddhism.  He has joined forces with a guru, Wayne (sounds totally Tibetan and Monkish, don't you think?).  In his teachings, Wayne is attempts to explain to Weiner the concept of separating the mind and body for meditation.  He says:

"You are working on the distinction between thought and mind.  You are weaning yourself off your thoughts....Just be with the body.  Check in with the body.  Rely on the body.  The body knows.....  The body is not stupid.  Everybody says the body is stupid and the mind is smart, but it's not that way.  The body is simple and wise already.  It's taking care of itself.  It's your final teacher.... Think of your body as a stick figure.  Legs, arms, torso.  That's what we're going to work with.  Keep coming back to that.  You're a bag of bones.  And the great thing about your body is that you carry it with you wherever you go."

Instantly, I applied this to my situation.  Lately, with the not-so-official-sounding-official diagnosis of "Unexplained Infertility,"  I have decided to explore mental or emotional blocks to fertility.  I think I have moved beyond exploring possible reasons why I might not be getting pregnant, and have just taken a general interest in the impact of infertility on women's minds and emotions as well as psychological and emotional issues that may be the root of infertility.  I have always believed that the mind has much more power and control over our physical well-being than most of us are aware of.  This statement by Guru-Wayne speaks directly to the heart of that.  It tells us to teach our mind: unruly, rebellious child that it is, to shut up because Body Knows Best.  Chris, the acupuncturist, mentioned this to me once.  He said, "We are going to help you relax and quiet your mind so that your body can do what it already knows how to do."  It is obvious that my body knows what to do.  I apparently am the proud-owner of impeccable health and have conceived 3 times (that I know of).  Doesn't it make sense that my always wondering and chattering mind could be to blame. 

I love the idea presented in Wayne's lesson that your body is wise and has the ability to lead you to calm and peace; it's omnipresence is to be considered comforting.  The body is like a mother.  Older, Wise, Stable, and Warm.  Whether we are ill, scared, cold, tired, or ignorant, our body is always there to protect us and lead us back to health, warmth, and safety - We just have to step aside and let it.  Starting today, I am a stick figure. :)  Preferably like the one below! Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment