Friday, February 8, 2013

End of the World and a New Beginning

Most of you may know that Casey and I went on a Christmas Cruise this year to Honduras, Belize and Cozumel.  This cruise was our attempt to make a new Christmas tradition that was happy and fun and something to look forward to after the last two sad, lonely Christmases. 

This cruise turned out to be one of the best decisions we ever made.  We met some of the most lovely people, and made memories that will last a lifetime.  Out of all of the places we visited, our most favorite was Belize.  We were in Belize on December 20, 2012 ... The Day Before The End of the World.  We thought this would be a cool opportunity to visit Mayan Ruins, but we had no idea how magical the day would be for us. 

Belize is a beautiful and friendly country with a diverse population of life-loving, simplistic, and appreciative people.  We had the great pleasure of spending the day with an authentic Belizean Mayan, Amalia.  She was our tourguide to the ruins, and shared so many beautiful things about her culture and her country.  I can't really explain the quiet, peaceful, magical feeling I had during my visit to those Mayan Ruins, but I knew immediately it was a special place and had to take something from there. 

After touring the ruins and climbing to the very top, we visited the little shops where some of the locals were selling items.  We were looking at different things when all of a sudden Casey blurts out to the woman at the table, "Do you have a statue of a fertility God?"  My head shot up and I looked at him thinking wtf??  Ha ha .....  The woman didn't even flinch.  She said, "Oh yes, those are over at that other shop."  Then she turns and shouts for Andre!  Andre, a nine year old Belizean boy with the biggest toothy smile you've ever seen comes running over.  She tells him in the local dialect what we need, and he walks right up to me, takes my hand, and says I'm going to take you to get your Ixchel (The Mayan Fertility Goddess).  Yanking my hand, he practically takes off running and before I know it, I am running full speed ahead across the Mayan plaza trying to keep up with this lovely, energetic young boy.  Once we reach the shop he picks up two little statues representing Ixchel.  "These are the only two we have left, which one would you like?"  Ummmmm......  "Well, Andre, which one do you think I should have?"  Of course he picks the most colorful one.  The opposite of the one I would have usually picked, but because this wonderful little angel picked it out, I handed him the ten dollars, thanked him and we were on our way.  Ixchel sits atop our bookcase in all her Mayan glory .... 

This visit sounds somewhat normal; however, I don't know if it was my imagination, my strong desire for change, or superstition, but ever since I left Belize, I have had a sense of peace.  A sense of well-being like something deep inside myself and completely outside of myself telling me that everything is going to be okay.  I have felt lighter, more open, like I have more love in my heart.  I don't know what this means but Belize will always have a place in my heart because of Amalia, Andre, and Ixchel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment