Friday, February 22, 2013

Egg Retrieval Day

Okay, it has been awhile since my last post ... Sorry about that but we've been so busy with getting ready from the Egg Retrieval and recovering from it that I haven't had a chance to log on.  Anywho, Egg Retrieval Day was exciting and interesting, and I'm super excited to give you a run-down of it! :D

Egg Retrieval is considered a minor surgical procedure as you are under general anesthesia, so I could not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before.  If you know me, this is a big deal because I absolutely MUST have two things in the morning:

1.  Coffee
2.  Meat

But I guess my adrenaline was pumping and my nerves were heightened enough that the not eating thing didn't bother me too much.  I donned by brand new pj's I bought especially for ERD (Egg Retrieval Day), slipped on some flip flops and we were on our way to Piney Point Surgical Center.

Once we got there everyone took wonderful care of us.  You can tell these people do this daily because they didn't miss a beat, and I never felt uncomfortable or unsure.  I'm pretty sure that Houston Fertility Institute trains their employees to call you "Sweetie" and "Honey" because they all do it, and it makes you feel like your Momma is the one taking care of you.  I love it! :)

When it was our turn, they put me and Casey in our Pre-Op room.  A tiny little room with our own little comfy chair and private bathroom.  I changed into my hospital gown, little bootie shoes, and lunch lady bonnet (my favorite part... so stylish!) and waited for them to come prep me.  It didn't seem like very long at all that they had my IV in and had wrapped a warm sheet around my shoulders to keep me warm on my short walk to the OR.  Only one minor stumbling block when the sweet girl hit a valve in my right hand and had to switch to my left... simple solution:  head between knees for a few seconds.  :)



I'm not gonna lie the OR was a little intimidating as I had never had surgery before ... all the metal and big lights and stuff were kinda scary.  The sweet Nurse had me lie down on this tiny little bed.  She covered me up with two sheets and kept me covered the entire time I was awake so that I wouldn't be cold or feel exposed (ahem ... if you know what I mean).  She then put my thighs in these brace looking things and strapped them down.  Ummmm, awkward.

That is when the anesthesiologist a scary looking - Asian lady in a North Face vest came and put some happy juice into my IV.  As she was juicing me up, the Embryologist introduced himself and let me tell you you've never met someone until you've met them while laying spread eagle on a tiny table in a cold, metal room.  Right then the oxygen mask covers my mouth and next thing I know I wake up to someone yelling my name.  Why is she yelling?!

I lift up my blanket and see that I am wearing my own clothes, sports bra and all.  This doesn't strike me as strange right away ... it was oddly comforting ... but later I did wonder who exactly put my clothes on and a mental image of my unconscious self being dressed like an over-sized drugged up doll is seared into my brain.  I still don't know who put my clothes on me or if I provided them with any legitimate assistance but I may inquire about this one day ... tehe. 

It seemed like right away Casey was there whisking me away in a wheel chair to go home.  The day is pretty hazy but went surprisingly well.  I was so pleased with the treatment and care by the people at Piney Point.  We happily found out the next day that they retrieved 8 count 'em 8 EGGS .... and that 7 of them FERTILIZED!! :D  How exciting!  Now our septuplets are being subjected to several weeks of Genetic Testing, so we are pretty much done for the time being.  Can't wait to find out what the genetic testing shows.  Prayers for 7 healthy, viable embryos are appreciated! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment